This 1947 English Manor Style Home, located at West University, had interior spaces that were clearly out-dated and the clients wanted to double the square footage, expanding the original house from 3,500 to 7,000 square feet of living space.
The exterior of the original structure on the south side facing Rice Blvd. was left intact, the limestone cleaned and restored to its original chalk and honey coloration. The screen porch on the second floor above the Porte-cochere was enclosed with leaded glass windows to create a playroom.
Within the original structure, the kitchen was expanded, walls were stripped down to the shipboard siding and carpeting removed to reveal the original hardwood floors. Bathrooms were modernized, yet designed to retain a certain Old World ambiance.
The 1953 den was removed and a large living area with two-story ceiling was built in its place. Limestone was employed on the first level to maintain the character of the original house and stucco in complimenting coloration used on the second floor level. The addition includes a master bedroom and bath with service quarters on the second floor and at ground level an artist workshop, as well as a garage that opens to the alley behind the house.